POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : tools for creating image maps ? : tools for creating image maps ? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:21:24 EDT (-0400)
  tools for creating image maps ?
From: John M  Dlugosz
Date: 19 Sep 1999 23:28:31
Message: <37e5a9df@news.povray.org>
<flame>
Why can't Photoshop get PNG files right?  Not only does it seem to have no
way to view my palette when I'm editing a "indexed color" image, but when I
save as PNG, it saves as a 8-bit/sample RGB file!  Isn't that kind of
missing the point?!
</flame>

What tool (running under Windows NT) can I use to find out what palette I
ended up with in a GIF file?  That is, I need to know which color index is
which RGB value, so I can set up my "transmit" modifiers properly in the
image_map statement.

Better yet, how can I put them in the order I want in the first place, so I
don't have to re-do it every time I edit the file?

Do I need to write a BMP/TGA to PNG converter that takes an optional palette
file as input to guide the conversion, or does something like that already
exist?

--John